Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Breakfast Apple Cake

I saw this recipe on allrecipes front page this morning and decided it would be a nice breakfast treat for the kiddos. It came together really quickly and I stuck it in the oven. Twenty minutes later, I checked on it only to discover that nothing was happening. My oven wasn't working.

I ended up carrying it over to my sweet neighbor & she let me bake it in her oven. It was nice to catch up with her.

The kids surprised me by devouring it ALL when I got home. My neighbor tried it too and said it was very good. I will definitely be making it again (well, if my oven will let me, that is).

I altered the original recipe a little.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour (I subbed all purpose flour + 1 Tbs baking powder & 1 tsp salt)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups peeled, cored, and chopped tart apple (I used golden delicious, because it was all I had)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (left these out)
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended. Stir in flour and cinnamon. Mixture will be thick. Fold in apple and nuts. Spread in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with butterscotch chips.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut into squares.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment