Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ham Chowder

It's raining here today. That is good news. One, because I don't have to go anywhere. And two, because I can make soup for dinner! Soup is so much more appetizing when it is cold and rainy.


This is a soup that I started making several years ago from a recipe that used canned cream of mushroom soup and canned vegetables. I lost that recipe somewhere along the way, and have come up with my own version. My own version is subject to change, depending on what I have in the fridge & pantry. Today when I made it, I measured and wrote down what I used. You can pretty much use whatever vegetables you have.
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
2 onions
8 cups potatoes, cut into chunks
2 cups green beans (2 cans would work, as well)
2 cups carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup flour
8 cups chicken broth (I use bouillon and water)
2 cups diced, cooked ham
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp pepper

Sautee veggies and butter in a large pot until veggies are just about tender. Stir in flour. Slowly stir in broth and cook over medium heat (stirring frequently) for 5 minutes. Add ham, sour cream, milk & pepper. Heat over low heat for 3-5 more minutes or until heated through. Serves an army, or about 8-10 people. You can easily halve this recipe.

Note:
If you use fresh green beans, you may want to steam them separately for a few minutes before you start. The potatoes were tender long before they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment