Monday, January 3, 2011

Buttercream Frosting


Today was Superhero's b-day & I wanted to make a cake that was special, but easy. Very easy - a cake decorator I am not (yet). So... I made the Tasty Cake, but used buttercream frosting instead of the chocolate frosting that I normally use for that cake. The results: a seriously delicious cake. However, the middle sagged and I hurriedly squirted the frosting on, so it didn't look so hot (at all). Thankfully, I found a tube of black gel icing & drew the outline of a batman mask on it, and I found a number 7 candle way back in a cabinet! Woohoo, we were in business!

The buttercream frosting recipe came from allrecipes & called for using shortening along with the butter, but I used all butter instead and added a tablespoon of vanilla (and a lot of blue food coloring).

Ingredients:
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1-4 Tbs milk

Beat all the ingredients together in a mixer until fluffy. Add enough milk to get it to the consistency you want. It made enough to cover a 2 layer (9") cake - while piling extra in the middle to try to fill in the saggy parts - with about 1/2 left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment